FUND THE CITY’S FIRST
TECH HIGH SCHOOL.
CAST TECH HIGH SCHOOL PATHWAYS
- Cyber Security
- Computer Science (includes coding/programming)
- Also to include gaming, animation, and digital media
Business and Finance
- Business analytics/informatics
- Business administration, finance, and management
(includes marketing and leadership)
A Different High School Experience
- Blended learning – Students learn in part via digital and online media with some control over time, path, place or pace.
- Project-based learning – Working on an extended timeline, students gain knowledge and skills by investigating and responding to an engaging question, challenge or problem.
- Work-based learning – Students participate in “real world” opportunities, such as job shadows and internships for credit. Host employers guarantee a job interview for graduates.
INVESTING IN OUR FUTURE
We’re aiming to revolutionize the high school experience in San Antonio at the city’s first CAST Tech High School. CAST stands for Centers for Applied Science and Technology (CAST) and in 2017, the first of these charter schools opens in our downtown tech district. With your support, we can bring advanced technical training, certifications, and college-level work to San Antonio students and our future workforce.
Students will graduate from CAST Tech High School with a diploma and a minimum of 30 college credits, plus the opportunity to earn industry-recognized certificates and an associate’s degree. The school’s rich learning environment will employ blended (online) learning, project-based learning, and work-based learning, with class time structured around research, labs, and projects provided by industry partners.
The industry advisory group includes leaders from Tech Bloc, H-E-B, Rackspace, USAA, Frost Bank, Firstmark Credit Union, and Geekdom. Industry partners have committed to job interviews for CAST Tech graduates, as well as a menu of work-based learning opportunities such as coffee talks, job shadows, internships and summer jobs.
CAST Tech HS opens Fall 2017 to its first class of 125 to 150 ninth-graders and is expected to accommodate 600 students at capacity. Half of the students will come from SAISD and half from outside the school district.
CAST Tech will have an IT Academy and a Business & Finance Academy, with an interdisciplinary focus on entrepreneurship. In addition, CAST Tech is designed to be a lab school, hosting teacher resident and principals for training purposes so as to create a strong pipeline of leaders and educators in career and technical education as well as project-based learning.
FRIENDS OF C.A.S.T.
Count me in. I want to be Friend of C.A.S.T. and a part of San Antonio’s tech future.